Kejriwal to restart movement against power tariff hike
New Delhi: Anti-graft crusader Arvind Kejriwal has said he would restart the movement against power tariff hike across Delhi.
Kejriwal said he will again take up the issue of power tariff hike and will continue with the fight, till the tariff is not reduced.
“We will again raise the issue of power tariff hike in Delhi. We have been visiting various places and have seen that people are fuming over power tariff hike in Delhi. Though the government has reduced the tariff to some extent due to the pressure exerted by the public but this was done to just gain sympathy.
“So, this shows that the pressure from public is being felt on the government but the government is still adamant on providing benefits to some companies. So, we appeal to the public that once they come together in the fight, the government would be forced to reduce the hiked tariff," said Kejriwal.
Recently, Kejriwal had restored electricity connection of a daily wageworker after it was disconnected by the Electricity Department due non-payment of the inflated bill.
Kejriwal appealed the public to switch off power for an hour on Saturday (November 03) from 7-8 in the evening to express their protest.
“We appeal to the public of Delhi to keep their electricity shut for one hour tomorrow that is November 03 from 7 to 8 in the evening to express their protest against power tariff hike.
“In 2010, an order related to electricity prices was passed in Delhi that the prices should be decreased but the government has not implemented it yet. We had filed an RTI (Right to information) query but they are not replying to that as well," said Kejriwal.
India`s electricity distribution and transmission is mostly state run, with private companies operating in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata. Less than a quarter of generation is private nationwide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened