‘Key bills on higher edu should not be delayed’
New Delhi: Concerned over the delay in passage of key legislations on higher education, a Parliamentary Panel on HRD on Wednesday suggested that they should not be delayed further.
Observing that "considerable time has elapsed" since Parliamentary scrutiny of these proposed legislations, the Parliamentary Standing Committee made the suggestion noting that these Bills are yet to come before Parliament.
"The committee is of the firm view that passing of these legislative proposals need not be delayed any further," the committee said in its report tabled in Parliament today.
Some of these Bills relate to prohibition of educational malpractice, mandatory assessment and accreditation of higher educational institutes, entry and operation of foreign education providers, bill to establish a tribunal for adjudication of disputes involving educational institutes and setting up of a national academic depository.
Drawing attention to the delay in establishment of new campusus of the IITs, the committee suggested that a team comprising HRD Ministy officials, IIT management representatives and state government officials be "mandated" to pursue construction of work in time-bound manner.
It also asked the Ministry to ensure that funds released to state universities are put to good use while taking into account the fact that "state universities are simply not inclined to take benefit from central funds".
It noted that during the 11th Plan Period, out of the plan allocation of Rs 1029.70 crore for 131 state universities, funds released were less than Rs 506.13 crore. Out of this, total expenditure was only Rs 54.96 crore by state universities.
The committee took note of the fact that "26 state universities failed to spend even a single paisa".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump