Key UPA allies want wider consultations on NCTC
New Delhi: Days ahead of the chief ministers meet on National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), key UPA allies Trinamool and DMK on Wednesday demanded wider consultations on the issue saying the move could infringe upon rights of states to deal with law and order problem.
"NCTC formation will lead to encroachment on states` power and the issue needs more discussion," Suvendu Adhikari (TMC) said participating in a discussion on demands for grants of home ministry in the Lok Sabha.
The demand comes ahead of the meeting of chief ministers on the issue with Centre on Saturday.
Another UPA ally, DMK, made it clear to the Centre that the NCTC should be used for joint operations and freedom of the state should not be affected.
"Freedom of states should not be affected. We are not against NCTC. It should be used for joint operations," J K Ritheesh Shivkumar (DMK) said.
BJP member Anurag Thakur too demanded that the states be consulted before operationalising NCTC.
He feared that the NCTC, like the CBI, could be misused by the Centre to achieve its political objectives.
Criticising the Centre for its move to set up the NCTC, Pinaki Misra (BJD) asked Chidambaram to "climb down from your high horse" and engage with the Chief Ministers of this sensitive issue during the upcoming meeting.
M Thambidurai (AIADMK) said in the name of coordination, the Centre should not interfere with the states` rights.
Nama Nageshwara Rao (TDP) said his party chief had sent suggestions on the controversial issue of NCTC to the Centre which should be considered.
Khagen Das (CPI-M) also opposed setting up of the NCTC.
Supriya Sule (NCP) supported the Centre on the NCTC and said the Maharashtra government has already conveyed its views on the matter to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you