Khurshid shelves Moily`s proposal on right to justice
New Delhi: Law Minister Salman Khurshid has shelved a proposal of his predecessor M Veerappa Moily to make the right to justice a fundamental right.
"...no fresh law is required to make Right to Justice a
fundamental right for citizens" as the Preamble to the
Constitution provides justice to all citizens, Khurshid told
the Lok Sabha on Monday.
He said the Supreme Court has also held that social
justice is a fundamental right and in such a situation no
fresh law was required.
In November, 2010, Moily had said the government was
working to enact a law to make the right to justice a
fundamental right for Indian citizens. "We (the Law Ministry)
are already working on a system to make right to justice a
fundamental right," he had said here.
In a written reply, Khurshid said the 13th Finance
Commission has recommended a grant of Rs 200 crore to State
Legal Services Authorities to provide legal aid to
marginalised groups to empower them to access justice.
He said the National Legal Services Authority has been
setting up legal aid clinics in villages manned by trained
para-legal volunteers to help the common man get legal
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?