Kin of road mishap victim gets Rs 48 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a businessman, who died in a road accident involving a rashly-driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 48 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The Tribunal also awarded a compensation of Rs 32,000 to a man who was injured in the same accident.
MACT Presiding Officer Sanjiv Jain directed Oriental Insurance Company Ltd, with which the truck was insured, to pay as compensation Rs 48,01,300 to the family members of contractor Niwas Yadav and Rs 32,000 to his injured friend Harpal Yadav.
"It is established that Niwas died due to the injuries and Harpal Yadav sustained injuries in the accident on June 26, 2011 on Mehrauli-Gurgaon road due to rash and negligent driving of the truck by the respondent no.1 (Juber Ahmed)," the Tribunal said.
41-year-old Niwas` family members told the Tribunal that the incident took place on June 26, 2011 when he and Harpal were coming from Sultanpur on a motorcycle. Niwas was riding the motorcycle while Harpal was a pillion rider.
They were going towards Ghitorni Metro Station on Mehrauli -Gurgaon Road and on reaching near Sultanpur Depot, a truck being driven rashly and negligently by its driver hit their motorcycle, the family said.
Due to the impact, both the victims fell down and were taken to hospital. Niwas, however, could not survive.
The family said he was earning around Rs 3.5 lakh per annum and he was the only earning member in the house.
The truck driver and owner, however, said it was a case of contributory negligence as the motorists had seen the truck coming from the front side and despite that they took an U-turn, leading to the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'