Kin of road mishap victim gets Rs 48 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a businessman, who died in a road accident involving a rashly-driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 48 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The Tribunal also awarded a compensation of Rs 32,000 to a man who was injured in the same accident.
MACT Presiding Officer Sanjiv Jain directed Oriental Insurance Company Ltd, with which the truck was insured, to pay as compensation Rs 48,01,300 to the family members of contractor Niwas Yadav and Rs 32,000 to his injured friend Harpal Yadav.
"It is established that Niwas died due to the injuries and Harpal Yadav sustained injuries in the accident on June 26, 2011 on Mehrauli-Gurgaon road due to rash and negligent driving of the truck by the respondent no.1 (Juber Ahmed)," the Tribunal said.
41-year-old Niwas` family members told the Tribunal that the incident took place on June 26, 2011 when he and Harpal were coming from Sultanpur on a motorcycle. Niwas was riding the motorcycle while Harpal was a pillion rider.
They were going towards Ghitorni Metro Station on Mehrauli -Gurgaon Road and on reaching near Sultanpur Depot, a truck being driven rashly and negligently by its driver hit their motorcycle, the family said.
Due to the impact, both the victims fell down and were taken to hospital. Niwas, however, could not survive.
The family said he was earning around Rs 3.5 lakh per annum and he was the only earning member in the house.
The truck driver and owner, however, said it was a case of contributory negligence as the motorists had seen the truck coming from the front side and despite that they took an U-turn, leading to the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death