Kin of road mishap victim gets Rs 48 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a businessman, who died in a road accident involving a rashly-driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 48 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The Tribunal also awarded a compensation of Rs 32,000 to a man who was injured in the same accident.
MACT Presiding Officer Sanjiv Jain directed Oriental Insurance Company Ltd, with which the truck was insured, to pay as compensation Rs 48,01,300 to the family members of contractor Niwas Yadav and Rs 32,000 to his injured friend Harpal Yadav.
"It is established that Niwas died due to the injuries and Harpal Yadav sustained injuries in the accident on June 26, 2011 on Mehrauli-Gurgaon road due to rash and negligent driving of the truck by the respondent no.1 (Juber Ahmed)," the Tribunal said.
41-year-old Niwas` family members told the Tribunal that the incident took place on June 26, 2011 when he and Harpal were coming from Sultanpur on a motorcycle. Niwas was riding the motorcycle while Harpal was a pillion rider.
They were going towards Ghitorni Metro Station on Mehrauli -Gurgaon Road and on reaching near Sultanpur Depot, a truck being driven rashly and negligently by its driver hit their motorcycle, the family said.
Due to the impact, both the victims fell down and were taken to hospital. Niwas, however, could not survive.
The family said he was earning around Rs 3.5 lakh per annum and he was the only earning member in the house.
The truck driver and owner, however, said it was a case of contributory negligence as the motorists had seen the truck coming from the front side and despite that they took an U-turn, leading to the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik detained in Srinagar ahead of Thursday's shutdown
- IPL 2016: Revealed – This is Sunrisers Hyderabad's Mustafizur Rahman’s biggest fear!
- Centre renames disability department; 'viklang' to be called as 'divyang'
- Sensex soars 576 points to log biggest one-day rally in nearly 3 months
- Have you seen Deepika Padukone's cute video DP yet? Watch now