Kiran Walia demands resignation of Delhi Police chief
New Delhi: Amid public outcry over brutal rape of the five-year-old girl, Delhi`s Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia on Monday demanded resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, saying he has totally failed to contain violence against women.
"The Police Commissioner must resign. The situation has gone out of control. People are fed up with him," she said.
Earlier in the day, Kumar ruled out resigning from the post but promised exemplary action against policemen found lax in handling the case.
"If my resigning will prevent such depraved action of the society, then I am ready to resign a thousand times. But that is not going to address the problem," the Delhi Police chief said at a press conference.
Last year, the Police Commissioner had come under severe scrutiny and demands were made for his removal following gang-rape of a girl in a moving bus.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had also demanded Kumar`s resignation in the wake of the gang-rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users