Kiran Walia demands resignation of Delhi Police chief
New Delhi: Amid public outcry over brutal rape of the five-year-old girl, Delhi`s Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia on Monday demanded resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, saying he has totally failed to contain violence against women.
"The Police Commissioner must resign. The situation has gone out of control. People are fed up with him," she said.
Earlier in the day, Kumar ruled out resigning from the post but promised exemplary action against policemen found lax in handling the case.
"If my resigning will prevent such depraved action of the society, then I am ready to resign a thousand times. But that is not going to address the problem," the Delhi Police chief said at a press conference.
Last year, the Police Commissioner had come under severe scrutiny and demands were made for his removal following gang-rape of a girl in a moving bus.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had also demanded Kumar`s resignation in the wake of the gang-rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price