Kurien threatens to suspend protesting TDP MPs for a day
New Delhi: Upset over frequent disruptions caused by two TDP MPs, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien today threatened to suspend them for a day "for holding the House to ransom" but could not do so as members of AIADMK and TMC opposed it.
Kurien issued the warning at around 2.30 PM when Coal Minister Shriprakash Jaiswal was to give clarifications on the missing files of the coal block allocation.
The two MPs Y S Chaudhary and C M Ramesh, were in the Well and chanting slogans against the decision to form Telangana.
Kurien pleaded with them to allow the House to function but the members were unrelenting.
Amid din, Kurien threatened to take action under Rule 255 under which "the Chairman may direct any member whose conduct is in his opinion grossly disorderly to withdraw immediately from the Council and any member so ordered to withdraw shall do so forthwith and shall absent himself during the remainder of the day`s meeting."
During Zero Hour also, Kurien had said, "I can throw you out also. Do you want me to do that?"
Opposition members V Maitreyan (AIADMK) and Derek O`Brien (TMC) opposed any action against them prompting to Chair to say, "You want clarification on the coal issue and the Prime Minister is here. You want the discussion but do not want me to take any action against them. This is double standards."
With his repeated threats and appeals failing to yield any result, he said, "the Chair is helpless." He then adjourned the House for 30 minutes.
When the House reassembled, Kurien said he was "pained and hurt" as the Chair wanted the House to function.
He said the Prime Minister, despite difficulties, was present in the House to intervene as per the demands by some members for him to intervene on the missing coal block allocation files.
"There are two members who are holding the House to ransom. Now, those who wanted this debate to happen are not supporting the Chair in taking action against them. This is my agony. If the majority wants action under rule 255, the House can run otherwise I have no way other than to adjourn the House," the Deputy Chairman said.
With his efforts not yielding any result, he adjourned the House till Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez