L N Mishra murder case: Final arguments from 27
New Delhi: Final arguments in the 37-year- old murder case of the then Railway Minister L N Mishra will commence on a daily basis from August 27 in a Delhi court.
The date for start of the final arguments was fixed after the Supreme Court had on August 17 said that the trial in the case could not be quashed merely on the basis of delay.
"Put up (the case) for final arguments on August 27, 2012 on a day-to-day basis," Additional District Judge Vinod Goel said in his order.
The judge took the decision on final arguments after accused Santoshanand Avadhuta`s counsel, amicus curiae Ashwani Kumar Bali, who was recently appointed by the court, submitted that he needed time for inspection of the file and to go through the documents.
The counsel "can take down notes during arguments by the special public prosecutor and, in the meanwhile, (he) may inspect the file and go through the documents," the court said.
Mishra was killed in a bomb blast at a function at Samastipur Railway station in Bihar on January 3, 1975, and Ranjan Dwivedi, who was a 24-year-old at that time, was named as an accused along with four Ananda Marga members, one of whom has died.
Apart from Dwivedi, the other three accused in the case were Santoshanand Avadhuta, Sudevananda Avadhuta and Gopalji.
The accused had approached the Supreme Court seeking quashing of the trial against them in the murder case. The apex court had dismissed their plea on the ground that the proceedings could not be terminated merely because they had not been concluded in the past 37 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know