Lack of beacon-fitted cars make Delhi assembly session stand out
New Delhi: Total absence of cars fitted with red beacons at the secretariat made the first day of the newly-elected Delhi assembly session on Wednesday stand out in contrast to such events in the past.
The look of the old Delhi Secretariat was totally different as the assembly complex was thronged by a large number of AAP supporters, unlike in the past when beacon-fitted cars swarmed the area and there was heavy security and gates were not opened to the common man.
In keeping with its promise to end VIP culture, the Aam Admi Party government had on Saturday decided that red beacon will not be used by ministers and officials.
A majority of AAP MLAs came to the assembly riding Metro along with their supporters while one legislator arrived in a battery-operated rickshaw.
Rajesh Garg, AAP MLA from Rohini constituency, said he travelled 16 km on the rickshaw to reach the assembly. The rickshaw was covered with AAP poster and fitted with brooms - the party`s election symbol.
A number of MLAs came by auto-rickshaw also.
A lot of enthusiasm was witnessed among the AAP MLAs, all of them first-timers. However, there was no bonhomie among AAP and MLAs from other parties.
For all the first-time AAP MLAs, attending the assembly session was a "wonderful" experience.
"It was a wonderful experience. This is the place to resolve people`s grivances and problems. I am feeling great attending the assembly," said 26-year-old Rakhi Birla, Minister for Women and Child Development.
All the AAP legislators came to the House wearing their trademark Gandhi caps proclaiming "I am an aam aadmi".
However, a number of BJP and Congress MLAs criticised this, saying caps having party symbol and the punch line was not allowed inside the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi