Lack of beacon-fitted cars make Delhi assembly session stand out
New Delhi: Total absence of cars fitted with red beacons at the secretariat made the first day of the newly-elected Delhi assembly session on Wednesday stand out in contrast to such events in the past.
The look of the old Delhi Secretariat was totally different as the assembly complex was thronged by a large number of AAP supporters, unlike in the past when beacon-fitted cars swarmed the area and there was heavy security and gates were not opened to the common man.
In keeping with its promise to end VIP culture, the Aam Admi Party government had on Saturday decided that red beacon will not be used by ministers and officials.
A majority of AAP MLAs came to the assembly riding Metro along with their supporters while one legislator arrived in a battery-operated rickshaw.
Rajesh Garg, AAP MLA from Rohini constituency, said he travelled 16 km on the rickshaw to reach the assembly. The rickshaw was covered with AAP poster and fitted with brooms - the party`s election symbol.
A number of MLAs came by auto-rickshaw also.
A lot of enthusiasm was witnessed among the AAP MLAs, all of them first-timers. However, there was no bonhomie among AAP and MLAs from other parties.
For all the first-time AAP MLAs, attending the assembly session was a "wonderful" experience.
"It was a wonderful experience. This is the place to resolve people`s grivances and problems. I am feeling great attending the assembly," said 26-year-old Rakhi Birla, Minister for Women and Child Development.
All the AAP legislators came to the House wearing their trademark Gandhi caps proclaiming "I am an aam aadmi".
However, a number of BJP and Congress MLAs criticised this, saying caps having party symbol and the punch line was not allowed inside the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- PM Modi saved cameraman from being washed away in Gujarat
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium