Lady dies of wrong blood transfusion, Delhi govt asked to pay compensation
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday asked the Delhi government to pay Rs four lakh compensation to the next of kin of a pregnant woman who died due to transfusion of wrong blood group in a city hospital.
The NHRC has asked the city government to pay Rs four lakh as monetary relief to the next of kin of Priya, who died due to transfusion of wrong blood group at Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital. The Commission has also asked for the proof of payment, a statement said.
The rights body took cognisance of the issue on the basis of a media report which stated that Priya, who was nine-month pregnant, was admitted in Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital on November 12, 2011 after her labour pain started.
As the woman was anaemic, two units of blood was transfused. However, after the blood transfusion, she gave birth to a dead child. Thereafter, she also collapsed and died.
In response to an NHRC notice, medical superintendent of the hospital admitted that wrong blood had been issued to the patient by the laboratory technician and the hospital administration had taken the most stringent action possible against the said official by removing him from service.
However, the Commission observed that a precious life was lost due to negligence of the technician posted in the blood bank. Therefore, the state must bear the vicarious liability and recommended the monetary relief, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you