Lajpat Nagar blast: Chronology of case
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of
events in the case regarding the Lajpat Nagar market blast
which left 13 people dead and 38 others injured:
* May 21, 1996: A stolen Maruti car, laden with
explosives, goes off at around 6:30 pm in the crowded Central
Market at Lajpat Nagar, killing and injuring scores of people.
Around 8:30 pm, an `spokesperson` of banned Jammu and
Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF) makes calls to various media
houses to claim responsibility for the terror attack.
* May 22, 1996: Police, which initially lodged the case
under tough terror law TADA, registers the matter under the
* May 24, 1996: Farooq Ahmed Khan and lone woman accused
Farida Dar arrested from Anantnag in Jammu and Kashmir
following scanning of the call details. Later, police arrest
* May 26, 1996: Special Cell of Delhi police takes over
* May 30, 1996: Investigators get the billing records of
the telephone number allegedly used in calling media groups.
* June 7, 1996: Police recover arms, explosives and
documents from various places in Kashmir.
* Aug 19, 1996: Chargesheet under the IPC, the Arms Act
and the Explosives Act filed for the offence of murder,
attempt to kill and hurt.
* Jan 2000: ASJ N K Kaushik frames charges.
* June 2006: Court concludes recording of evidence.
* Dec 14, 2009: Final arguments concluded.
* Mar 18, 2010: Court reserves its verdict.
* Mar 30, 2010: Court defers pronouncement of verdict
to April 8.
* Apr 8, 2010: Court convicts six out of ten accused,
fixes April 13 for arguments on quantum of sentence.
*Apr 13, 2010: After hearing arguments on the quantum
of sentence, the court fixes April 17 for pronouncement of
*Apr 17, 2010: Court defers pronouncement.
*Apr 22, 2010: Court awards death penalty to three, life
term to one besides releasing two others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves