Lajpat Nagar blast: Chronology of case
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of
events in the case regarding the Lajpat Nagar market blast
which left 13 people dead and 38 others injured:
* May 21, 1996: A stolen Maruti car, laden with
explosives, goes off at around 6:30 pm in the crowded Central
Market at Lajpat Nagar, killing and injuring scores of people.
Around 8:30 pm, an `spokesperson` of banned Jammu and
Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF) makes calls to various media
houses to claim responsibility for the terror attack.
* May 22, 1996: Police, which initially lodged the case
under tough terror law TADA, registers the matter under the
* May 24, 1996: Farooq Ahmed Khan and lone woman accused
Farida Dar arrested from Anantnag in Jammu and Kashmir
following scanning of the call details. Later, police arrest
* May 26, 1996: Special Cell of Delhi police takes over
* May 30, 1996: Investigators get the billing records of
the telephone number allegedly used in calling media groups.
* June 7, 1996: Police recover arms, explosives and
documents from various places in Kashmir.
* Aug 19, 1996: Chargesheet under the IPC, the Arms Act
and the Explosives Act filed for the offence of murder,
attempt to kill and hurt.
* Jan 2000: ASJ N K Kaushik frames charges.
* June 2006: Court concludes recording of evidence.
* Dec 14, 2009: Final arguments concluded.
* Mar 18, 2010: Court reserves its verdict.
* Mar 30, 2010: Court defers pronouncement of verdict
to April 8.
* Apr 8, 2010: Court convicts six out of ten accused,
fixes April 13 for arguments on quantum of sentence.
*Apr 13, 2010: After hearing arguments on the quantum
of sentence, the court fixes April 17 for pronouncement of
*Apr 17, 2010: Court defers pronouncement.
*Apr 22, 2010: Court awards death penalty to three, life
term to one besides releasing two others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley