Land Acquisition bill: NAC`s inputs to be included
New Delhi: Government on Monday said the Land
Acquisition Amendment Bill will include the recommendations
made by Sonia Gandhi-led NAC, and once passed, the legislation
will ensure that there are "no more Singurs" in the country.
"The recommendations of the NAC will be included in the
Land Acquisition bill...there will be no more Singurs. It will
support the aspirations of the people," Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily told reporters here.
The Law Ministry will vet the bill, which is under
consideration of the Rural Development Ministry, at a later
stage before it is put up before the union cabinet.
The National Advisory Council (NAC) has prescribed a
seven-point test for a having a humane legislation on land
acquisition and rehabilitation.
In a recent letter to the government, the NAC suggested
a check list of seven parameters which includes provisions for
a rehabilitation package that is sensitive to the aspirations
of the affected people.
The NAC`s checklist includes: Does it discourage forced
displacement? Does it minimise adverse impacts on people,
habitats, environment and biodiversity? Does it minimise
adverse impacts on food security by actively discouraging
acquisition of agricultural land, and promoting local
economies? Does it comprehensively define project affected
It also includes: Does it provide for a just
compensation and rehabilitation package, sensitive to the
aspirations, culture, community, natural resource base and
skill base of the affected people? Does it ensure humane,
participatory, informed, consultative and transparent process?
Does it provide for effective implementation?
"The test for any such legislation should be on these
parameters," said the letter sent by the NAC to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- RBI wants to liberalise while strengthening bond markets: Raghuram Rajan
- After Rio Olympics failure, Tintu Luka's uncle blames coach PT Usha for below-par training
- Narsingh Yadav would have won the silver, claims WFI official
- PM Modi, Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states on Saturday
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption