Land Acquisition bill: NAC`s inputs to be included
New Delhi: Government on Monday said the Land
Acquisition Amendment Bill will include the recommendations
made by Sonia Gandhi-led NAC, and once passed, the legislation
will ensure that there are "no more Singurs" in the country.
"The recommendations of the NAC will be included in the
Land Acquisition bill...there will be no more Singurs. It will
support the aspirations of the people," Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily told reporters here.
The Law Ministry will vet the bill, which is under
consideration of the Rural Development Ministry, at a later
stage before it is put up before the union cabinet.
The National Advisory Council (NAC) has prescribed a
seven-point test for a having a humane legislation on land
acquisition and rehabilitation.
In a recent letter to the government, the NAC suggested
a check list of seven parameters which includes provisions for
a rehabilitation package that is sensitive to the aspirations
of the affected people.
The NAC`s checklist includes: Does it discourage forced
displacement? Does it minimise adverse impacts on people,
habitats, environment and biodiversity? Does it minimise
adverse impacts on food security by actively discouraging
acquisition of agricultural land, and promoting local
economies? Does it comprehensively define project affected
It also includes: Does it provide for a just
compensation and rehabilitation package, sensitive to the
aspirations, culture, community, natural resource base and
skill base of the affected people? Does it ensure humane,
participatory, informed, consultative and transparent process?
Does it provide for effective implementation?
"The test for any such legislation should be on these
parameters," said the letter sent by the NAC to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Manipur HSLC exam result 2016: Manipur Board Class 10 result to be declared shortly, check manresult.nic.in for Manipur Class X result 2016
- Air ambulance with seven people crash lands in Delhi's Najafgarh
- Nehru, Gandhi family responsible for rising rapes in India, says Rajasthan BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja
- Shocking video: Old woman mercilessly beaten up by her daughter in Delhi
- Chris Gayle: Melbourne Renegades refuse to renew his contract for BBL 6