Lankan national posing as Keralite arrested at Delhi airport
New Delhi: A Sri Lankan national, against
whom a look-out-circular has been issued, was arrested at the
airport here while he was allegedly trying to fly to Moscow
posing as a Keralite, police said on Friday.
N Suresh Kumar was intercepted at the immigration
counter of the Indira Gandhi International Airport yesterday
when he was going to board an Air Astana flight to Moscow.
He claimed he was a resident of Sangaramangalam
village in Palakad district of Kerala and his passport showed
that he got it issued from Malappuram in November last year.
"The police personnel at the counter found that a
look-out-circular (LoC) has been issued against him by Chennai
FRRO," R A Sanjeev, Deputy Commissioner of Police (IGI
The text of LoC against Kumar dated September 15, 2009
read, "prevent subject from entering India and inform
originator (FRRO Chennai)".
Kumar was interrogated at length during which he told
investigators that he was a Lankan national and came to India
in 1998 and was staying in Palakkad since then, a senior
police official said.
"He was arrested by Tamil Nadu Police in January 2008
when he went there for a short visit to meet his friend in K K
Nagar. He was kept in a camp in Chengalpettu for eight months
before he was deported to Sri Lanka," he said.
However, in January 2009, he managed to enter India in
a boat via Kochi.
After reaching Palakkad, he allegedly managed to
procure a passport and election card.
A case under section 420 (cheating), 468 (forgery) and
471 (using forged documents as original) of Indian Penal Code
and Section 12 (obtaining passport by suppressing information
about nationality among others) of Indian Passport Act has
been registered against him.
Asked whether the arrested person had any links with
outlawed LTTE, the official said he has no links.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!