Lapses in anti-hijack response system at Delhi airport: Govt
New Delhi: Government said on Wednesday that five
cases of security lapses were reported at various airports in
the country while "several glaring flaws" were noticed in the
anti-hijack response system at Delhi airport.
Five cases of security lapses have been reported at
various airports by Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS)
last year, Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi told Lok Sabha
in a written reply.
The government has also commissioned a study to
strengthen and restructure BCAS, he said.
"In two cases (of security lapses) involved personnel
belonging to Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and a
driver in another case have been suspended for violations and
in remaining two cases concerned airport Director has been
advised to take action against the defaulters," he said.
To a question whether in a recent mock drill on
anti-hijack response mechanism system at Delhi Airport,
several glaring flaws were detected, Ravi replied, "Yes madam.
Some procedural lapses and lack of coordination among various
agencies were noticed."
He said a number of security measures like
installation of barriers to check vehicles and persons
approaching the airports, enhanced surveillance on land and
air side of airports, strengthening of Quick Reaction Teams
and striking reserves and secondary security checks at ladder
points of aircraft have been taken to revamp the present
security set up at the airports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened