`Large no of acquittals due to lack of protection for victims`
New Delhi: Lack of protection for victims, witnesses and their families to depose fearlessly is the main reason for large percentage of acquittals in criminal cases relating to sexual offences, Chief Justice of Delhi High Court N V Ramana said on Wednesday.
"When the witness reaches the court, he is not treated in a proper manner...When he attends the court, he is completely ignorant, confused, not knowing where to sit, where to stand.
"One of the main reasons for the large percentage of acquittals in criminal cases is of witness turning hostile and giving false testimonies in criminal cases. Main reason for this is the lack of protection for them and their family," he said.
The Chief Justice was speaking at the inauguration of `Vulnerable Witness Deposition Complex` at Karkardooma Court here, which is the first complex of its kind in India and South Asia.
The complex has been designed "to provide protection, privacy, confidentiality and comfort to vulnerable witnesses in an in-camera atmosphere" in cases of sexual offences, Justice Ramana said.
He said the facility would enable witnesses to depose without hurdles as for many victims and witnesses, the experience of crime leaves them fearful and anxious.
"This is particularly so for vulnerable groups such as women and children," he said.
Observing that giving evidence in courts is "an unfamiliar and uncomfortable experience for most witnesses," he said, "an efficient and compassionate response across the criminal justice system can hold the confidence of the victim and general public that their concerns are taken seriously and acted upon."
The Chief Justice said the judiciary trying these cases is playing an active part in developing a comprehensive witness protection plan.
He said the complex at the Karkardooma court is equipped with several facilities like video-conferencing, separate rooms for witness, who is protected from the site of the accused, and separate waiting area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi