Large turnout at special camps organised to register new voters in Delhi
New Delhi: A large number of people in Delhi on Sunday turned up at the special camps organised for enrolment and verification of their names on voters list ahead Lok Sabha polls starting April 7.
The special camps were organised by Election Commission (EC) at all polling booths to help both the existing voters to verify their details and aspiring ones for getting themselves registered.
Booth Level Officers (BLO) were deployed at the camps to help the existing voters to verify their names on the voters` list, a statement issued by EC said.
It said that in the camp, the electoral roll in serial order for that polling station was pasted on it wall.
New voters could enrol themselves by filing up the `Form 6` on the spot at the camps and the last date for registration is March 12.
District election officer Ashima Jain said that apart from checking and verifying details of voters, the facility of new registration was also provided to people.
Central District Election Office had set up special camps at 1056 polling stations in 306 polling locations.
In Delhi, a total of 11,763 polling stations were set up for verification of names of existing voters.
To ensure record voting turnout in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and to bring awareness, a cultural programme was also organised in Old Delhi area.
The Lok Sabha polls will be held between April 7 and May 12 on nine days, in the highest number of phases so far in the country.
Counting of votes in all the 543 constituencies involving an electorate of 81.4 crore will be done on May 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city