Lathicharge on BJP workers figures in Parliament
New Delhi: The lathicharge on BJP workers
during a protest march against corruption in the national
capital was today strongly protested in both Houses of
Parliament, with the Rajya Sabha adjourning till noon shortly
after meeting for the day.
As soon as the Question Hour began in the Upper House,
BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu raised the issue of lathicharge
yesterday during the protest march and compared it with
Naidu demanded a reply from Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"What happened yesterday reminds me of emergency days. Is
it democracy or dictatorship? Many people were injured and
brutally assaulted (in the lathicharge)...If someone protests
against corruption will you beat him like this...," he asked.
Naidu claimed that BJP`s Delhi unit President Vijender
Gupta was also hit during the lathicharge.
Terming it as a serious issue, Naidu said the Home
Minister should come and respond. Soon BJP members stood up
and started shouting "dictatorship will not be allowed".
Congress members Rajiv Shukla and Satyavrat Chaturvedi
were also on their feet protesting the BJP leader`s remarks.
As the din continued, Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourned the
House till noon and no questions could be taken up.
In the Lok Sabha, the issue was raised by senior BJP
leader Shahnawaz Hussain. He was supported by senior party
leader L K Advani, who demanded a statement from the
However, the protesting BJP members relented in the
Lower House, after Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar
Bansal assured them that he would convey their sentiments to
the Home Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead