Law for same work, same pay for workers on the anvil
New Delhi: Government plans to enact a law to deal with issues related to proper implementation of same work, same pay for workers, especially those on contract or belonging to unorganised sector, Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said on Monday.
He, however, said there were problems in implementation of same work, same pay for contract workers.
"There are issues and we are making efforts to deal with them. I have written to the states and have also raised this issue in the labour conferences. Unfortunately, many states do not make the required effort. My suggestion is to bring an amendment bill to deal with these issues," Kharge said in the Lok Sabha.
He said during Question Hour that all stakeholders, including trade unions and state governments, will be consulted before the amendment bill is brought.
He informed the House that the Minimum Wages Act, 1948, applies to contract labourers and in the unorganised sector and the average establishment employing them has to comply with the labour laws.
"In the central sphere, in case of non-payment of wages fixed by the respective authorities, complaints can be made in the field offices of Chief Labour Commissioner," he said, adding that a total of 3,634 convictions had taken place in 2011-12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs