`Law on female foeticide not implemented properly`
New Delhi: Law to prevent female foeticide is
not being implemented in a proper manner, a senior Delhi
government official claimed on Thursday.
"The law is not being implemented fully and until that
happens, child sex ratio would be on a decline," Director of
Census Operations (Delhi) Varsha Joshi said.
Joshi, who was addressing a media consultation on
`Declining sex ratio and census 2011`, said that government
schemes are good but they alone can do nothing and a change in
the mindset of people especially those living in rural areas,
She also expressed distress over education not doing
enough in controlling the decline.
"Literacy and education is not showing an impact where
it matters the most and it is disturbing," she said.
Centre for Advocacy and Research (CFAR) Executive Director
Akhila Sivadas blamed the official structure for not waking up
to the problem of such a serious magnitude.
Alleging that there is a strong nexus between doctors
and clinics, involved in sex determination, and politicians,
an activist Sabu George said, "No one is willing to bell the
cat as this is a lucrative business and it is all about
The panelists were unanimous in condemning the easy
availability of technology and regretted the lax approach of
the government in taking a serious note of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu