Lawyer, associate held for cheating job aspirants
New Delhi: A 29-year-old lawyer and her
associate were arrested here for allegedly cheating four
youths by promising them jobs in Merchant Navy, police said
Tanuja, who hails from Chennai, and her accomplice
Vijaypal (30) were apprehended from PVR Saket yesterday after
they entered into an argument with the four youths who alleged
that they cheated them of Rs ten lakh by promising them jobs
Four Merchant Navy employees Yameen Mallick (22), Sagar
Sodani (21) Navin Moily (27) and Arun Yadav (22) picked up a
quarrel with the duo in PVR Saket in connection with their
dispute over passports and money taken by some fraudsters,
Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South), said.
The youths alleged that Sonia Maan, later identified as
Tanuja, who was practising as a lawyer in Chennai, had
fraudulently taken Rs ten lakh from them along with their
passports promising them jobs in Canada, Sharma said.
During interrogation, she said, it came to light that the
complainants were sent text messages offering jobs in Canada
through a Canadian Recruitment Service named as `Immigration 2
"The youths went ahead as their belief in the message got
strengthened when they got a call from a number which later
turned out to be a number of a High Commission situated in
Delhi. They immediately transferred Rs 20,000 on the belief
that the offer is genuine.
"Later, they came to learn through email communication
that their job offer would be processed through Sonia Maan, an
enrolled lawyer on the list of CSIC stationed in Delhi, which
was found to be genuine when they checked the list on
internet," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi