Lawyers` strike in Delhi affect work in six district courts
New Delhi: Judicial work in six district court complexes in Delhi was on Tuesday affected as advocates observed a day-long strike to protest against alleged attack on two lawyers by police personnel and registration of a case against them.
The proceedings in several important cases including, 2G spectrum allocation scam in which the court was to hear CBI`s plea seeking to make Reliance ADAG Chairman Anil Ambani and his wife Tina Ambani as witnesses and Batla House encounter, were also affected due to the strike.
Only proxy counsel appeared in urgent matters to take a next date.
The lawyers abstained from work for the day in all six district courts -- Saket, Tis Hazari, Patiala House, Rohini, Karkardooma and Dwarka.
Arun Rathi, Vice President of Saket Bar Association, said their strike was "successful" and they had gone to meet Saket Court`s District Judge who assured them that a proper inquiry would be done in the matter.
"The District Judge has asked the Delhi Police Commissioner to give a reply in the matter within two days," he said.
The lawyers were protesting against the alleged brutal attack by police personnel on two advocates on the intervening night of July 6-7 and "misbehaviour" by the SHO and thereafter registration of a "false" case against them (lawyers).
The strike was called by other bar associations as well to "show solidarity" and co-operate in the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery