Laying of optic fibres: Centre tells Delhi HC issue being sorted
New Delhi: The Centre has informed the Delhi High Court that it is taking initiatives to resolve the issue concerning laying of optic fibre cables by Reliance Jio Infocomm across railway crossings and network and needs some time to sort it out.
A bench headed by Chief Justice N V Ramana was informed by the Centre that since the matter relates to both telecom and Railway ministries, 15 days time is needed to sort it out.
It also informed the bench that the Centre is taking initiative to resolve the issue.
The matter has now been fixed for February 11.
Reliance Jio Infocomm (formerly known as Inftel Broadband Services Ltd) had moved the high court against the Centre, the Ministry of Railways and the Ministry of Telecom and IT challenging the demands made by Railways for allowing their telecom network as a licensee of the licence granted by the Centre.
It also challenged some circulars issued by the Railway authorities prescribing certain charges for granting permissions to lay optic fibre cables across railway networks.
The petition said Ministry of Railways is not entitled to refuse such permission since the company have statutory right to lay optic fibres by the virtue of the provisions of the Indian Telegraph Act under which it was granted licence for providing telecom services.
It also challenged Railway ministry demanding charges for grant of permission to lay the fibres and said the charges being demanded were exorbitant, discriminatory and arbitrary.
The petition also challenged certain provisions of the Indian Telegraph Act as being ultra vires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!
- Pakistan to host West Indies for pink ball Test in UAE