Locals clash with police in South Delhi
New Delhi: Violence erupted in a south Delhi
locality on Sunday evening after locals clashed with police
alleging that the gate of a religious structure was closed by
The incident was reported from Jorbagh area at around six
pm and force was rushed to the spot after locals tried to open
the gate behind the religious structure, which was closed.
Locals alleged that police used force and lobbed teargas
shells to disperse the protesters. Police denied the
The situation was brought under control soon, a senior
police official said.
Protesters alleged that a local police official closed
the gate and blocked entry into the religious structure after
they opened it.
According to a religious leader who came from Kolkata to
address the followers, this action by police agitated the
locals and they tried to open the gate following which police
used force. He alleged teargas landed among women who were
sitting in the premises leading to a stampede-like situation.
Amulya Patnaik, Joint Commissioner of Police (Southern
Range), and Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police
(South), rushed to the spot and with the help of local elders
brought the situation under control.
A large number of police personnel, including from BSF
and CRPF, were deployed in the locality to maintain law and
The religious structure was located in a disputed land
and a case is pending in Delhi High Court in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore