Locals clash with police in South Delhi
New Delhi: Violence erupted in a south Delhi
locality on Sunday evening after locals clashed with police
alleging that the gate of a religious structure was closed by
The incident was reported from Jorbagh area at around six
pm and force was rushed to the spot after locals tried to open
the gate behind the religious structure, which was closed.
Locals alleged that police used force and lobbed teargas
shells to disperse the protesters. Police denied the
The situation was brought under control soon, a senior
police official said.
Protesters alleged that a local police official closed
the gate and blocked entry into the religious structure after
they opened it.
According to a religious leader who came from Kolkata to
address the followers, this action by police agitated the
locals and they tried to open the gate following which police
used force. He alleged teargas landed among women who were
sitting in the premises leading to a stampede-like situation.
Amulya Patnaik, Joint Commissioner of Police (Southern
Range), and Chhaya Sharma, Deputy Commissioner of Police
(South), rushed to the spot and with the help of local elders
brought the situation under control.
A large number of police personnel, including from BSF
and CRPF, were deployed in the locality to maintain law and
The religious structure was located in a disputed land
and a case is pending in Delhi High Court in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!