Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Tuesday strongly condemned Team Anna for "lowering the dignity" of Parliament after a resolution was moved over which members cutting across party line slammed the activists for using derogatory language
"Any remark lowering the dignity and esteem of this august
House is unwarranted and totally unacceptable," Speaker Meira
Kumar said summing up the sense of the House, after a brief
She said members of the House undergo rigorous scrutiny by
the Election Commission under the provisions of Representation
of People Act, Model Code of Conduct and other legal
requirements while filing their nomination for election.
"After meticulously assessing their conduct and
performance, the people of India, in their wisdom, elect them.
The Parliament, therefore, reflects the collective will of the
people of our country," the Speaker said.
Led by JD-U leader Sharad Yadav, members from all
political hues came together in Lok Sabha to attack Team Anna
for using derogatory language against parliamentarians.
Some of them even said that those who levelled attack against the
temple of democracy should be summoned in the House to punish
Moving a resolution against the civil society members,
Yadav said the Speaker should take suo motu action against
them for their utterances against democratic institutions.
Describing Parliament as a "supreme institution", SP
leader Mulayam Singh Yadav said those civil society members
who challenged its authority should be "summoned and taken to
task". He requested consensus among members on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown