`Lokayukta cannot be made arena for settling private scores`
New Delhi: Dismissing a petition against a former mayor, Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin on Friday disapproved attempts to use the anti-graft platform to settle personal score by certain elements.
Rejecting the allegations of wrongdoings levelled against Farhad Suri, former mayor and city Congress leader, by a petitioner, Justice Sarin held that contentious issues between the parties needed to be decided in the appropriate courts.
He cautioned that the forum of Lokayukta cannot be permitted to be made an arena for settling private scores.
Petitioner Prem Chand had filed a dozen complaints with the Lokayukta against Suri, currently Leader of Opposition in South Delhi Municipality, alleging that the Congress leader was director in a private firm and had misused his position to gain favour for the company.
The complaints ranged from obtaining power connection and factory license without no-objection certificate to using unauthorisedly portions of his premises for commercial purpose.
Suri had submitted before the Lokayukta that he had only one per cent stake in the company and had never drawn any remuneration. Moreover, he had resigned as director from the company also.
"There was no material placed on record to show hand of the respondent (Suri) in any of the alleged actions," the Lokayukta held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened