Lokayukta has gone beyond legal boundaries: Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday attacked Lokayuta Manmohan Sarin, saying the ombudsman had gone beyond his legal boundaries and norms by indicting her for something that happened in 2008.
"Whatever the Lokayukta has done is beyond his legal boundaries and norms. Something happened in 2008, why are they remembering it now?"
She was referring to Sarin`s report indicting her for misusing public funds for "political purpose" as the Delhi government had released newspaper advertisements ahead of the 2008 assembly elections.
She said if there was any misuse of public funds in the poll campaign, the Election Commission would have pointed this out.
"Besides, if a political party or individual violates the law, the Election Commission stops them... I hope that explains the issue," Dikshit said.
The Lokayukta recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee that he should ask Dikshit to reimburse through the party or personally Rs.11 crore being half the cost of the advertisements, or any amount the president thought adequate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing