Lokayukta has gone beyond legal boundaries: Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday attacked Lokayuta Manmohan Sarin, saying the ombudsman had gone beyond his legal boundaries and norms by indicting her for something that happened in 2008.
"Whatever the Lokayukta has done is beyond his legal boundaries and norms. Something happened in 2008, why are they remembering it now?"
She was referring to Sarin`s report indicting her for misusing public funds for "political purpose" as the Delhi government had released newspaper advertisements ahead of the 2008 assembly elections.
She said if there was any misuse of public funds in the poll campaign, the Election Commission would have pointed this out.
"Besides, if a political party or individual violates the law, the Election Commission stops them... I hope that explains the issue," Dikshit said.
The Lokayukta recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee that he should ask Dikshit to reimburse through the party or personally Rs.11 crore being half the cost of the advertisements, or any amount the president thought adequate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender