Long outages in Delhi as power scene worsens
New Delhi: The power situation deteriorated further on Monday in the national capital as several parts continued to reel under long outages in the sweltering heat with mercury touching a record breaking high of 45.5 degrees Celsius.
Areas across the city faced blackouts of up to six hours as a number of power transmission lines maintained by Delhi Transco Ltd (DTL), a Delhi government utility, tripped today. The DTL is yet to repair all the transmission lines damaged by the devastating storm 10 days ago.
In more bad news, top Delhi government officials said the power situation is unlikely to improve in the next three weeks as repairing the damaged transmission network will take time.
Chief Secretary S K Srivastava reviewed the situation at a high-level meeting and instructed power department to do their best to improve the situation.
Angry people came out to the streets to protest against power cuts in various areas of North and West Delhi.
The long power cuts affected operations at various water treatment plants in the city affecting supply of water to many areas.
Meanwhile, Congress MLAs and ex-MLAs held a protest against the long power cuts at Delhi Secretariat by locking the Chief Secretary in his room for over one-and-a-half hours. They ended their protest after he gave a written assurance that government will make all efforts to improve the situation.
"Officials are attributing the recent thunderstorm for the worsening situation of electricity and water in the city. I want to tell them that 148 thunderstorms were reported during the regime of Congress-led government, but there was never such situation like this before," DPCC chief Arvinder Singh Lovely said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed