Long power outages continue in Delhi
New Delhi: Several areas in the city continue to reel under long outages due to glitches in the power distribution network.
Power cuts ranging from two to five hours were reported from various localities in South, East and West Delhi.
A power department official said the outages took place mainly because of "local faults" in the distribution network of the power distribution companies.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit reviewed the power situation in a meeting and directed the power department to take all possible measures for bringing relief to the people.
Yesterday, the city reeled under severe outages due to cut in power supply by a number of generating stations and technical snag in the Northern Grid.
Delhi Transco Ltd, which maintains major transmission lines in the city, said it averted a possible collapse of the Northern Grid at around 2 AM by shedding 500 MW load due to which various areas faced power cuts.
"The Agra-Gwalior transmission corridor-I of 765 KV tripped at 01:51 AM which caused over loading of second circuit between Gwalior and Agra. The tripping of this circuit could have resulted in collapse of Northern Grid," they said, adding that by "drawing less power we saved the grid from any possible collapse."
Meanwhile, Delhi Power Minister Haroon Yusuf held a meeting with BSES Rajdhani Power Limited (BRPL) in which he directed the discom to strengthen distribution network in West Delhi.
BRPL officials said the meeting decided to expedite commissioning of the Hastasal and Matiala grids by June 30.
They said BRPL has also decided to keep mobile transformers for ensuring uninterrupted power supply in Dayalsar road in Uttam Nagar.
"In the last one-year, the company has added 152 MVA (Mega Volt Ampere) of capacity in its network in West Delhi. In the next two months till July 31, BRPL will be adding another 230 MVA of network capacity in its network in West Delhi," the BRPL officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!