Lt Governor pulls up Delhi’s Transport dept, orders strict measures
New Delhi: With the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old exposing chinks in the public transport system, Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna has directed Delhi Government to take a series of steps like installing CCTV cameras and GPS devices onboard all public buses at the earliest.
Khanna has also asked the Government to issue Public Service Badges in the form of photo identity card to drivers of all types of public utility vehicles including government and private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and radio taxis after proper verification and clearance by police.
"Copies of such badges need to be pasted in front of wind screen of the vehicles as well as in the passenger seating area," the Lt Governor said in a letter to Transport Commissioner Rajendra Kumar copies of which have been sent to Chief Secretary D M Spolia and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.
Seeking details of permits issued by the Transport department to private bus operators, Khanna asked it to make it mandatory for all private buses engaged in ferrying office goers and school children to engrave their permitted routes clearly in front and back of the vehicles.
The Lt Governor specifically asked Transport Department to install electronic passenger information systems in all existing bus shelters across the city. The government had announced the project almost three years back but has not been able to implement it so far.
Critical of Transport Department`s functioning, Khanna in a meeting told the Transport Commissioner to particularly to ensure accountability of the private buses by ensuring stringent enforcement of the permit norms, sources said.
The brutal gang-rape of the girl in a chartered bus, which was illegally plying, has brought to focus the failure of the government in keeping its long-pending promise of safe public transport system for women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way