Lt Governor pulls up Delhi’s Transport dept, orders strict measures
New Delhi: With the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old exposing chinks in the public transport system, Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna has directed Delhi Government to take a series of steps like installing CCTV cameras and GPS devices onboard all public buses at the earliest.
Khanna has also asked the Government to issue Public Service Badges in the form of photo identity card to drivers of all types of public utility vehicles including government and private buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and radio taxis after proper verification and clearance by police.
"Copies of such badges need to be pasted in front of wind screen of the vehicles as well as in the passenger seating area," the Lt Governor said in a letter to Transport Commissioner Rajendra Kumar copies of which have been sent to Chief Secretary D M Spolia and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.
Seeking details of permits issued by the Transport department to private bus operators, Khanna asked it to make it mandatory for all private buses engaged in ferrying office goers and school children to engrave their permitted routes clearly in front and back of the vehicles.
The Lt Governor specifically asked Transport Department to install electronic passenger information systems in all existing bus shelters across the city. The government had announced the project almost three years back but has not been able to implement it so far.
Critical of Transport Department`s functioning, Khanna in a meeting told the Transport Commissioner to particularly to ensure accountability of the private buses by ensuring stringent enforcement of the permit norms, sources said.
The brutal gang-rape of the girl in a chartered bus, which was illegally plying, has brought to focus the failure of the government in keeping its long-pending promise of safe public transport system for women and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'