Lt Guv accepts Lokayukta advice on erring officer
New Delhi: Delhi Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna
has accepted the recommendations of city Lokayukta against an
MCD councillor who was indicted by the ombudsman for allegedly
"beating" officials when they were carrying out demolition of
an unauthorised property.
Officials said following the Lokayukta recommendations,
Khanna has "advised" Achal Sharma, Councillor of Ward No 128
in Bindapur, not to be involved in such acts.
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin in September had found
Sharma and some of his associates guilty of assaulting members
of an MCD team when they were carrying out the demolition
drive in the area in June, 2010.
The Lokayukta has recommended to the Lt Governor to
censure the councillor.
As per the Lokayukta order, the team was badly beaten up
by Sharma and his associates despite being shown the
demolition order. The matter was reported to the police and a
case was registered.
"The spate of unauthorised construction in our metropolis
takes place only when the Municipal staff, building owners,
public functionaries and the police act in tandem," the
Lokayukta had said, seeking a proper probe into the illegal
Officials said Khanna has accepted almost all the
recommendations of the Lokayukta.
The Lokayukta had also sought framing of code of conduct
for elected representatives and suggested organisation of an
orientation programme on `ethical values and conduct in public
life for public functionaries` as an immediate measure.
In his order, Sarin suggested that public functionaries
and public servants should be held accountable if unauthorised
construction takes place during their tenure.
Sharma, in his defence, had claimed that the engineer
targeted him as he complained against the engineer for
conniving in illegal constructions and carrying out demolition
contrary to the settled protocol.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know