Lt Guv Khanna praises Delhi Lokayukta
New Delhi: Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna on Friday showered lavish praise on Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin, describing him as person of high integrity and one committed to his job.
Addressing the Eleventh Lokayukta Conference, in presence of President Pranab Mukherjee, Khanna complimented Sarin for his "honest work" though some of his orders were not agreed to by either him or the Delhi government.
"I compliment him for his honest work. He has been making honest efforts in discharing his duties. He has been receptive to the complaints. Probably he is the best Lokayukta Delhi has had," Khanna said.
Justice Sarin, in the last couple of years, had issued a number of orders against Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and other public functionaries.
The Delhi Lokayukta and Upalokayukta Act was enacted in the year 1995 and the first Lokayukta was appointed in December 1997.
In his address, Justice Sarin referred to the "history of struggle" behind holding the conference, indirectly referring to the Delhi government`s initial reluctance in allowing the Lokayukta to organise the event.
"It need not be gone into as one should only look and move forward. However, I must acknowledge the principled support received from Shri Tejendra Khanna Ji, Lt Governor Delhi, for holding of the conference," he said.
Dikshit, who has been critical of the Lokayukta for some of his orders, was invited to the event but chose not to attend it.
Justice Sarin said the institution of Lokayukta in Delhi remained in the "abyss of anonymity" for a decade or so and people got to know about it after an awareness campaign was launched in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed