Luxury goods taxes likely to increase in Delhi Budget
New Delhi: Already reeling under escalating prices of essential commodities, there may be more bad news in store for people in the city with Delhi government likely to announce a set of measures in the annual Budget on Monday to improve its dwindling finances.
Delhi Finance Minister AK Walia, who will present his seventh consecutive Budget, is likely to do a balancing job to augment government`s financial resources as well as not to put too much pressure on the common man, officials indicated.
To strengthen its coffers, the government will also have the option of withdrawing the Rs 40 subsidy per cylinder being given to domestic consumers, but officials said the possibility is very remote.
Walia is likely to increase taxes on luxury goods such as designer clothes, high-end mobile phones, pens and watches and may even consider increasing road taxes.
The government may also go for slashing subsidy to Delhi Transport Corporation and Delhi Jal Board. The total subsidy bill to both these organisations comes to around Rs 1,500 crore annually. The government also has the option of withdrawing power subsidy completely.
The national capital, hosting the prestigious Commonwealth Games in October, is going through financial difficulties especially after the Centre substantially curtailed its allocation in the Union Budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video