MA results declared late, DU students denied admission for PhD
New Delhi: Many students of Delhi University have been denied admission to the PhD course in Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies due to late declaration of master`s degree results by the varsity, a section of teachers claimed on Friday.
"Applications from candidates who were still waiting for their master`s degree results were accepted and were even called for the entrance exam and viva. However, now the authorities have notified that they cannot be considered as their results have not been declared," said Sachin N, professor at Dyal Singh College and member of Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA).
"These candidates were denied the opportunity due to no fault of theirs and natural justice demands that they should be granted `provisional admission` pending declaration of the final results, provided they are eligible in other respects," he said.
Reacting to the allegations, A Mariappan, Head of the Department of Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies, said the merit list for the selected students has to be made by the first week of August which cannot be completed without the master`s degree results.
"The department had waited for their results to come out till the viva-voce. The merit list has to be made by first week of August and students without their MA results could not be considered. The MIL department cannot be held responsible if other departments have still not issued their results. We have to go according to our rules," he said.
The Department of Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies conducted a written entrance examination on July 22 and a viva voce on July 24 for admission to the PhD programme under the Board of Research Studies (Arts).
The eligibility criterion is a Master`s/M Phil degree from a recognised university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it