MA results declared late, DU students denied admission for PhD
New Delhi: Many students of Delhi University have been denied admission to the PhD course in Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies due to late declaration of master`s degree results by the varsity, a section of teachers claimed on Friday.
"Applications from candidates who were still waiting for their master`s degree results were accepted and were even called for the entrance exam and viva. However, now the authorities have notified that they cannot be considered as their results have not been declared," said Sachin N, professor at Dyal Singh College and member of Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA).
"These candidates were denied the opportunity due to no fault of theirs and natural justice demands that they should be granted `provisional admission` pending declaration of the final results, provided they are eligible in other respects," he said.
Reacting to the allegations, A Mariappan, Head of the Department of Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies, said the merit list for the selected students has to be made by the first week of August which cannot be completed without the master`s degree results.
"The department had waited for their results to come out till the viva-voce. The merit list has to be made by first week of August and students without their MA results could not be considered. The MIL department cannot be held responsible if other departments have still not issued their results. We have to go according to our rules," he said.
The Department of Modern Indian Languages and Literary Studies conducted a written entrance examination on July 22 and a viva voce on July 24 for admission to the PhD programme under the Board of Research Studies (Arts).
The eligibility criterion is a Master`s/M Phil degree from a recognised university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Second French church attacker formally identified: Prosecutors
- HUGE HONOUR! PM Narendra Modi featured in Obama's DNC introduction video - WATCH
- NASA reveals new information on Sun's magnetic field and its kin!
- Argentine FA hope for Lionel Messi international U-turn
- Sebastian Vettel confident of Ferrari future despite James Allison exit