Maid murder case: BSP MP gets interim bail till May 20
New Delhi: BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, who along with his wife Jagriti Singh is accused in the case of murder of their maid, was on Friday granted interim bail till May 20 by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge Lokesh Kumar Sharma allowed the bail plea of Dhananjay, a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, on a personal bond of Rs one lakh and a surety of the like amount.
The court brushed aside the contention of the Delhi Police that Dhananjay wanted to campaign for Lok Sabha elections and he was taking undue benefit of illness of his father to seek bail.
"Earlier also on one occasion, the accused had been granted one week`s interim bail by the Supreme Court to file his nomination papers which was further extended for one more day by the Delhi High Court.
"Hence, even if it is presumed that the accused shall also campaign for his own Lok Sabha elections besides looking after his ailing father then this fact shall not cause any prejudice to the case of the prosecution in any manner and also there shall be no threat to the prosecution witnesses as the accused will not be available in Delhi during this period and will be available only in his Lok Sabha constituency," the court said.
The court also took note of the verification report regarding treatment of Dhananjay`s father and said Raj Dev Singh, father of the accused, has been admitted to a hospital in Lucknow.
During the arguments, Dhananjay`s counsel N Hariharan and S P M Tripathi argued that the accused should be granted interim bail as he has to look after his ailing father.
The court said, "Keeping in view the aforesaid facts and circumstances of the case, accused Dhanajay Singh is admitted to interim bail till May 20 subject to his furnishing a personal bond in the sum of Rs one lakh with one surety in like amount."
The couple were arrested on November 5, last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'