Maid murder case: Delhi Police opposes bail plea of BSP MP
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Monday opposed in a court here the bail plea of BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, arrested along with his wife Jagriti Singh in connection with murder of their maid, claiming he was aware of the cruelty being meted out to the servants and had also beaten one of them.
The police told the court that as per the forensic reports of digital video recorders (DVRs) of 20 CCTV cameras installed at the MP`s residence where the incident took place, some of their contents have been "formatted" and Dhananjay had handed over these footages to investigators after a lapse of around 15 hours.
Additional Public Prosecutor Mukul Kumar told the court that although Dhananjay had filed a plea seeking divorce from Jagriti in August this year, he was in constant touch with her and one of the maids, Meena, had told the investigators that the MP had hit her once with slippers.
"As per FSL report, contents of DVRs have been formatted ... Everything has been washed off," Kumar told Metropolitan Magistrate Gomati Manocha adding the MP had given DVRs to the police "after a lapse of around 15 hours."
The court, which concluded hearing the arguments on the bail plea, reserved its order for November 20.
Dhananjay, a BSP MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, and Jagriti, a dental surgeon at the R M L Hospital here, were produced before the court after expiry of two days of police custody and the police moved an application for sending them to judicial custody.
The court remanded both of them to judicial custody till November 20.
The court also made it clear that before passing an order on Dhananjay`s bail plea, it would go through the recordings of the CCTV footage of the 20 cameras.
During the hearing on the bail petition, senior advocate Hariharan, who appeared for Dhananjay, argued it was his client who had informed the police about the incident at 175, South Avenue here, and he was not in Delhi between November 1 to November 4 when the incident took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam