Maid services: Women among trio arrested for duping victims
New Delhi: Three persons, including two women, have been arrested for allegedly cheating people by providing maids who used to disappear soon after their placement agency got its commission, police said on Tuesday.
The gang, which is headed by one 30-year-old Dilip Mandal, who presently resides at Molarbandh Extension but is a resident of Devhar village of Bihar`s Madhubani district, had cheated around 60 people, police said.
Mandal, 19-year-old Sapna alias Sunita and 24-year-old Sonia alias Kavita were arrested following a complaint from Lajpat Nagar resident Aninda Mandal from whose house Sapna had fled the very next day after joining as maid.
Aninda had hired her after seeing an advertisement of one `Saroj placement services` and paid Rs 14,000 as commission to the agency. He also tried to contact the placement agency, but all the mobile numbers given in advertisement were found switched off.
Police tried to locate their location through electronic surveillance and finally succeeded in apprehending Dilip Mandal, the kingpin. The two women were also arrested.
The accused confessed to have cheated more than 60 people, police said, adding that the unsuspecting victims used to contact the placement agencies on the mobile numbers provided in the pamphlets.
Mandal used to respond and provide maids at the given address after negotiating and receiving commission ranging between Rs 12,000 and Rs 28,000.
"Then the maids used to escape from the employer`s house as per plan within one or two days and accused used to switch off their given mobile numbers.
"The accused were running this racket with 29 different names and types of placement agencies and by changing addresses as well as mobile numbers," said Ajay Choudhary, Additional CP South-East district.
Sapna and Sonia presently reside at Molarbandh Extension, in New Delhi. While Sapna is a resident of Kathal Denga village of West Bengal`s Bardhaman district, Sonia hails from Kusumbara village of Simdega district in Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report