Major fire in central Delhi building
New Delhi: A four-storey building went up in flames in central Delhi this evening after plastic stored in its ground floor caught fire following suspected short-circuit.
No one was injured in the blaze that was reported from
the building located in Maliwada locality of Nayi Sadak near
Chowri Bazar at around 5 pm, fire brigade officials said.
The multi-storey building appeared like a blazing
inferno with red flames and thick smokes billowing out of the
Twenty-seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot to
douse the fire, the officials said, adding the narrow lanes
were an impediment for fire fighters to reach the spot.
Soon after the incident was reported, the officials
said, power supply to the area was snapped while people
residing in the adjoining buildings were evacuated as a
"The building houses a godown of plastic. The approach
to the building was very narrow. We had to park the fire
tenders around 500 metres in the main road and then take the
hoses to the building," the officials said.
At a few spots, the hoses were reportedly leaking, due
to which a large quantity of water did not reach the affected
building. However, officials said these "minor hitches" did
not affect their operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Farooq Abdullah caught talking on phone during National Anthem rendition, triggers row
- Waiting movie review: Naseer, Kalki add heft to this homage to humanism
- Pakistani beauty Saba Qamar to star opposite Irrfan Khan in 'Hindi Medium': First look OUT!
- PMO counters criticism on 'rehashed' schemes under Narendra Modi government
- Watch: NASA releases 'Metabolomics: You Are What You Eat' video!