Major fire near LNJP hospital in Delhi
New Delhi: A fire broke out in a slum near Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan hospital and GB Pant hospital in central Delhi on Friday morning.
The fire that broke out in the slum cluster, off the Mata Sundari Road near the ITO is said to be spreading very quickly. Within minutes, the blaze engulfed the shanties in the area, a police official said.
"On receiving a call around 9.30 am, 30 fire tenders were pressed into service to control the fire which is still raging two hours on," fire brigade director AK Sharma told Zee News.
He also said that there is no major threat to nearby hospitals.
Many people are said to be trapped in the area. The residents of the affected area are being evacuated. A nearby transformer has also been gutted in fire.
The residents are also pouring buckets of water to control the fire.
Several hutments were destroyed in the incident though there were no reports of any casualty.
The cause of the blaze is yet to be ascertained.
A number of police personnel are also at the spot to prevent any violence there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?