Major roads in Delhi to have dedicated emergency lanes
New Delhi: Almost all major roads in the city will soon have a dedicated emergency lane and driving on them during time of any disaster will be a punishable offence.
The Delhi Government has identified 162 roads in which emergency lanes will be reserved on the extreme right for plying of ambulance, fire-tenders and other emergency services vehicles.
The government will put in place an emergency public warning system under which sirens will be installed across the city and restrictions on movement of vehicles in emergency lanes will come into effect once the sirens are sounded.
"In case of a disaster, sirens will be blown and immediately the dedicated lanes will have to be left for vehicles under the emergency response system," the officials said.
The emergency lanes will be painted blue and during normal days there will be no restrictions on plying of vehicles in them.
Officials said countries like the US, the UK, Canada and Italy have similar emergency lanes and Delhi Government has decided to go for them as part of efforts to strengthen the disaster management system in the city.
They said the government plans to put in place the entire system by first part of next year.
Separate lanes on arterial roads were kept during Commonwealth Games in 2010 for transporting players and officials.
Though the amount of fine for straying on to the emergency lanes has not been finalised yet, officials said the penalty will be "heavy".
The proposal was first put forth by the Delhi Disaster Management Authority and officials said penalty will be imposed on the violators as per provision of the Delhi Disaster Management Act.
Major roads identified for the emergency lanes include August Kranti Marg, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, Jail Road, Pankha Road, Noida Link Road, Rohtak road and Vikas Marg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3