Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit writes to PM for justice
New Delhi: Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Shrikant Purohit has written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi claiming that the almost six-year-old case against him was "fabricated" by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS).
"I have been under imprisonment for the last five years and seven months. The case is yet to come up for hearing and hence far away from coming to any conclusion... The entire case against me is fabricated and supported by stage-managed and planted evidences," he wrote.
In the letter, he alleged that the "Maharashtra ATS created terrorists out of innocent and patriotic lot of sons of soil for the reasons best known to them and their policy matters".
Purohit claimed that in the Army court of inquiry, two Army personnel have stated that they had apprehended a Maharashtra Police official planting false evidences at the house of one of the accused.
He appealed for an early hearing for himself and others like him who are in jail.
Purohit, arrested in November 2008 for the Mecca Masjid blast in Malegaon, said he has been in jail as an undertrial for over five years without bail and despite the National Investigation Agency (NIA) taking over the case in April 2011, no charge sheet has been filed by it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outside powers seem to be equating with legitimate Afghanistan govt: Ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- Israel PM to meet Kerry in Rome on Palestinians
- US President Barack Obama pays tribute to slain British MP Jo Cox
- Major blow for Samajwadi Party as its general secretary joins BJP with 200 colleagues
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead