Malls, bars, restaurants in Delhi to pay for playing music
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tuesday directed the top restaurants, malls and bars in the national
capital to pay license fee to Phonographic Performance Ltd
(PPL), licensing arm of Indian Music Industry (IMI), for the
songs played by them.
"It is directed that till next date of hearing the
defendents (restaurants, malls, bars) are hereby permitted to
the use of reproduction, broadcast to the public literary and
musical works ... by paying a license fee," a single member
vacation bench of Justice Mukta Gupta said.
Among the restaurants, malls and bars are Tivoli Garden
Resort, Tonic, Parikrama Restaurant, Hotel City Park, RPM Max,
Qashqai, Baci, DLF Promende, Tabula Rasa, Polka Restobar,
Blanco, Tao Lounge bar, Ansal Plaza, Black, Addiction, Lovely
Obsessions and Reverb.
The court`s direction came on a plea filed by PPL which
contended it was entitled to license fee for the music played
by restaurants, malls and bars on the occasion of New Year.
The court directed the restaurants, malls and bars would
continue to pay the license fee fixed by the court in
September 2005 along with a 15 percent addition.
It also directed restaurants, malls and bars to maintain
proper accounts of the music over the amount charges and file
an affidavit within one week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Pakistan directly involved in proxy war in Kashmir: Lt. Gen Hooda
- Beijing urged to accept South China Sea ruling
- Centre will not harm Odisha's interests: Uma Bharti
- Telangana Congress leaders stopped from heading to Mallanna project
- WATCH: When The Great Khali beat 19 opponents to win World Heavyweight title