Man accused of harassing sister-in-law let off
New Delhi: A man, accused of harassing and cruelly treating his sister-in-law for bringing insufficient dowry, has been let off by a Delhi court due to lack of evidence against him.
Metropolitan Magistrate Shivali Sharma acquitted Uttar Pradesh native Kali Prasad, brother-in-law of complainant woman, of the charges of maltreating her.
The judge, however, declared the woman`s husband and his parents as proclaimed offenders as none of them were found by the police during investigation.
"The overall evidence that has come on record is miserably insufficient to prove the offence under section 498A (subjecting woman to cruelty) of the Indian Penal Code as charged against accused Kali Prasad. He is acquitted of the offences as charged against?him," the judge said.
The woman had told the court that she had got married in April 1994 and was residing in a single room with her husband and in-laws in West Delhi.
The complainant had further said she was often taunted for bringing insufficient dowry and that her mother-in-law had subsequently demanded Rs 50,000 as dowry.
She had also told the court that her husband had started misbehaving with her after she requested him to take separate accommodation on rent.
She had also alleged that her in-laws used to ill-treat her and did not even serve her proper food.
Before the trial, notices were issued to all the accused person, however, only Kali had appeared before the court.
During the trial, Kali had argued before the court that he was living separately from his parents and he had never resided with his brother and sister-in-law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you