Man acquitted of charges of giving poisonous drinks to kids
New Delhi: A man has been acquitted by a Delhi court of the charges of poisoning his neighbour`s three children by giving them cold drinks and snacks laced with some venomous substance and rendering them unconscious.
"There is no credible and unimpeachable evidence on record to show that accused had mixed some poisonous or stupefying substance in the cold drink and administered the same to the children.
"Importantly, the prosecution has failed to attribute any motive to the accused for indulging in such alleged criminal activity such as theft, rape etc," Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat said.
While freeing Uttar Pradesh native Nadeem, the court also pulled up the Delhi Police and its investigating officer for conducting the "half-hearted" probe, showing "utter negligence."
"The half-hearted approach of the prosecution is not only undesirable but would also create dents in its own case. The approach of the prosecution in this case, for sure, has been half-hearted," the court said.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place in Dwarka in July last year when Nadeem had offered cold drinks laced with some poisonous substance to three children, who lived in his neighbourhood, when their mother was not at home.
It said that after consuming cold drinks and snacks, the kids became unconscious and were taken to hospital by their mother when she returned home in the evening.
The accused, on the other hand, admitted he had given cold drinks and snacks to the children but denied that it was laced with any poisonous substance. He said he had also consumed the same cold drink and denied that any of the child had become unconscious.
The court, however, acquitted him saying "it was very difficult to believe that Nadeem had intended to poison the children or, in fact, poisoned them, as he did not run away from the spot and remained in their room after they felt asleep."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read