Man acquitted of charges of giving poisonous drinks to kids
New Delhi: A man has been acquitted by a Delhi court of the charges of poisoning his neighbour`s three children by giving them cold drinks and snacks laced with some venomous substance and rendering them unconscious.
"There is no credible and unimpeachable evidence on record to show that accused had mixed some poisonous or stupefying substance in the cold drink and administered the same to the children.
"Importantly, the prosecution has failed to attribute any motive to the accused for indulging in such alleged criminal activity such as theft, rape etc," Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat said.
While freeing Uttar Pradesh native Nadeem, the court also pulled up the Delhi Police and its investigating officer for conducting the "half-hearted" probe, showing "utter negligence."
"The half-hearted approach of the prosecution is not only undesirable but would also create dents in its own case. The approach of the prosecution in this case, for sure, has been half-hearted," the court said.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place in Dwarka in July last year when Nadeem had offered cold drinks laced with some poisonous substance to three children, who lived in his neighbourhood, when their mother was not at home.
It said that after consuming cold drinks and snacks, the kids became unconscious and were taken to hospital by their mother when she returned home in the evening.
The accused, on the other hand, admitted he had given cold drinks and snacks to the children but denied that it was laced with any poisonous substance. He said he had also consumed the same cold drink and denied that any of the child had become unconscious.
The court, however, acquitted him saying "it was very difficult to believe that Nadeem had intended to poison the children or, in fact, poisoned them, as he did not run away from the spot and remained in their room after they felt asleep."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi