Man acquitted of charges of giving poisonous drinks to kids
New Delhi: A man has been acquitted by a Delhi court of the charges of poisoning his neighbour`s three children by giving them cold drinks and snacks laced with some venomous substance and rendering them unconscious.
"There is no credible and unimpeachable evidence on record to show that accused had mixed some poisonous or stupefying substance in the cold drink and administered the same to the children.
"Importantly, the prosecution has failed to attribute any motive to the accused for indulging in such alleged criminal activity such as theft, rape etc," Additional Sessions Judge Virender Bhat said.
While freeing Uttar Pradesh native Nadeem, the court also pulled up the Delhi Police and its investigating officer for conducting the "half-hearted" probe, showing "utter negligence."
"The half-hearted approach of the prosecution is not only undesirable but would also create dents in its own case. The approach of the prosecution in this case, for sure, has been half-hearted," the court said.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place in Dwarka in July last year when Nadeem had offered cold drinks laced with some poisonous substance to three children, who lived in his neighbourhood, when their mother was not at home.
It said that after consuming cold drinks and snacks, the kids became unconscious and were taken to hospital by their mother when she returned home in the evening.
The accused, on the other hand, admitted he had given cold drinks and snacks to the children but denied that it was laced with any poisonous substance. He said he had also consumed the same cold drink and denied that any of the child had become unconscious.
The court, however, acquitted him saying "it was very difficult to believe that Nadeem had intended to poison the children or, in fact, poisoned them, as he did not run away from the spot and remained in their room after they felt asleep."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital