Man arrested for firing at Delhi Police constable
New Delhi: A man has been arrested for allegedly opening fire on an on duty constable injuring him and a woman in New Friends colony area last evening.
An illegal pistol and three live cartridges have been recovered from him, police said today.
According to a police statement, a high alert was sounded and several teams were dispatched to nab the culprit after the incident.
Sonu Singh alias Rahul alias Ganja was nabbed from Gautampuri area at about 12:40 AM. On frisking, one .32 bore loaded pistol was also recovered from his possession, the police said.
A senior police official informed that constable Bobby Yadav, who was patrolling in New Friends colony area at around 8:30 PM last evening, got credible information that one Sonu who was seen in the area may have illegal arms in his possession.
When Bobby stopped Sonu and tried to frisk him, he pushed him and tried to flee. The constable chased and warned him to stop, but istead of stopping, Sonu fired a shot at him, which hit a woman passerby.
Following this, Bobby pulled out his service pistol and fired a round in the air to stop the culprit, but Sonu fired another shot which hit Bobby in his left thigh. By the time another constable reached the spot, Sonu had managed to escape. Both the injured were taken to hospital.
During interrogation, Sonu allegedly revealed that he had gone to Tihar Jail several times in various cases of robbery, dacoity and snatching. He was later produced before the court, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video