Man arrested for killing Delhi police constable
New Delhi: A 30-year-old man was arrested in connection with the murder of a Delhi police constable who was run over by his truck in west Delhi`s Bharat Nagar, police said on Thursday.
The accused, identified as Sukha alias Rashid, was arrested from south Delhi`s Malviya Nagar on Wednesday night during a picket checking, while his associates managed to flee from the spot.
On the intervening night of May 16 and 17 the accused ran his truck over two Delhi police constables -- Naresh Kumar Verma and Shankar -- who had tried to stop his truck in west Delhi`s Bharat Nagar.
Verma died on the spot while Shankar received injuries.
That night the accused along with his nine associates, belonging to `Mewati Gang` known for cow lifting, had gone to steal some cows from east Delhi`s Shakarpur, but they got into a scuffle with some people gathered there in a community hall for a marriage ceremony.
The gang members pelted stones at the people and injured three people. As soon as the police reached the spot they fled.
In the meantime, police instructed all check posts to stop the suspect truck. When the truck was stopped at Bharat Nagar check post, the accused hit the police barricade and fled.
The constable duo chased the truck and tried to stop them after overtaking it. But they were runover by the accused, who then managed to flee from the spot.
Sukha, resident of Faridabad in Haryana, is a driver by profession and usually drives a dumper in Haryana.
"He came in contact with one Shakir... and was lured into joining his gang. He boasts that after sitting on the driving seat no one can chase or stop him on the road," said Sharma.
A hunt is on to nab his other associates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan