Man disabled in road accident gets Rs 25 lakh compensation
New Delhi: A 29-year-old man, who suffered disability on the right side of his body after being hit by a truck in 2012, has been awarded a compensation of over Rs 25 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal.
The tribunal directed Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company, with which the offending truck was insured, to pay Rs 25,65,000 to Janardan Singh, who was on his motorcycle when a reversing truck hit him on the Mehrauli-Badarpur road.
"In view of no controverting evidence, it stands proved on record that petitioner (Janardan) had suffered injuries due to rash and negligent driving of respondent (truck driver).
"The driver has not cared to appear to explain his version regarding the manner in which the accident has taken place... And the same compels this tribunal to draw adverse inference against him," MACT Presiding Officer Prem Kumar Barthwal said.
Relying on the disability certificate of Janardan, issued by the Medical Superintendent of AIIMS Trauma Centre, the tribunal observed that "The petitioner has suffered 61.71 per cent physical impairment in relation to his right upper and lower extremity due to which his day-to-day life has been adversely affected and his future earning capacity shall also be adversely effected by at least 50 per cent of his income due to the physical disability suffered by him in this accident."
Janardan, a computer engineer who was working in South Delhi`s Nehru Place area, was going to his house in Faridabad on his motorcycle on the morning of May 29, 2012 when a truck rashly and negligently reversed at a very high speed by its driver and hit his motorcycle with great force.
Due to the impact, he sustained grievous injuries on his head and lower part of the body.
Janardan was rushed to the AIIMS Trauma Centre for medical treatment and was discharged a month later.
The tribunal rejected the contention of the insurance company that Janardan was not wearing helmet at the time of the accident and he was not entitled for any compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you