Man gets 10 years RI for rape
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a man
to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for raping a woman and said the issue needed to be treated with sensitivity due to
increase in incidents of sexual assault of women.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau awarded Furkan Ahmed the prison term and a fine of Rs 52,000 after holding him guilty of rape and criminal intimidation.
The court refused to show any leniency towards the convict
noting that he had committed the offence threatening her with
a knife and even tried to intimidate her husband during the
trial through Ahmed`s relative.
In its judgement, the court also expressed concern over
the society`s growing insensitivity to incidents of rape.
"Of late, crime against women generally and rape in
particular is on the increase and ironically society appears
to be unconcerned, showing little or no concern for honour of
women," the court said.
It noted that the convict committed the rape with
21-year-old "helpless" housewife on the intervening night of
November 20 and 21 when she was alone in her house at
Saraswati Vihar here with her two-year-old son and while her
husband was away for work.
During the arguments on sentence, Public Prosecutor Taufiq
Ahmed sought the maximum sentence against the convict saying
he had defiled the sanctity of the victim while the counsel
for the convict pleaded for lenient view on the ground that he
had a family to look after.
The court took into account the conduct of the convict
before and after the offence to say "any leniency shown to him
would be misplaced. This court is required to treat the issue
with more sensitivity".
In its order, the court said out of the total fine of Rs
52,000, a sum of Rs 40,000 would be paid to the victim as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- French Open: Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair advance to second round
- Nextbit Robin launched in India at Rs 19,999; comes with 100GB cloud storage
- Faint-hearted? Don't watch this spine-chilling road accident video
- Volkswagen rolls out first Ameo from Pune plant
- Hyundai announces special discount for government employees