Man gets 10 yrs jail for raping girl on false marriage promise
New Delhi: A 30-year-old man has been sent to jail for 10 years by a fast track court for raping a girl on the false promise of marrying her nearly a decade ago.
Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta said the prosecution has been able to prove beyond shadow of all reasonable doubt that Delhi resident Arun Kumar had raped the girl at a shop.
"Having regard to all the facts and circumstances of the case coupled with the submissions made by the convict, I am of the considered opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convict Arun Kumar to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years and to pay a fine of Rs 10,000 under section 376 (rape) of the IPC," the judge said.
According to the police, Kumar had raped the girl inside a tent shop in Begumpur here in October 2003 and when she objected, he threatened her that if she raised an alarm, the boys who were standing outside would come and strip her.
It had said Tempo driver Kumar had raped the girl thrice that night and thereafter, pretending to be unmarried, he assured her that he would marry her.
Kumar had developed physical relations with her several times after that also and when she asked him to marry her, he told her that his parents will not agree as she was from a different religion but he would try to convince them, the police had said.
Had he not promised to marry her, the victim would not have allowed her to have physical intimacy, the police said, adding after she became pregnant, he got her pregnancy terminated.
According to it, when the girl came to know that Kumar was already married and he had made physical relations with her on the false promise of marriage, she lodged a case against him.
Kumar had sought leniency on the ground that he has to support his family including wife, two kids and parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31