Man given life term for killing wife
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a
man to life imprisonment for battering his wife to death with
an iron rod after a quarrel over a petty issue, relying upon
the testimony of the couple`s eight-year-old daughter.
"The prosecution witness (daughter of the accused and
deceased) was only eight years of age at that time and she had
witnessed the most horrible incident of her life, wherein she
saw her mother being beaten by her father," Additional
Sessions Judge (ASJ) V K Bansal said.
Noting that the man hit his wife`s head with the iron
rod five times, ASJ Bansal said the man had the intention to
"I am of the considered opinion that the prosecution
has fully discharged its onus and also proved that accused
caused these injuries with the intention and the knowledge to
kill his wife and that is why he gave five blows of iron rod
on the vital part i.e. head," ASJ said.
The court relied upon the child`s statement, ignoring
minor discrepancies in her deposition.
Jai Karan Yadav, a resident of Mukand Pur in North
West Delhi, killed his wife Kaushalya on July 14 last year.
Yadav was residing with his wife and two children in
the house. Prosecution said the fight broke out between them
at night when Yadav was taking dinner and his children were
in another room.
He began beating his wife with the iron rod, the
police said, adding the incident was witnessed by the couple`s
children, including the girl.
Police said Yadav`s daughter tried to intervene but he
continued to hit her till she collapsed.
After the incident, he took his wife to hospital where
she succumbed to injuries. A case was registered against him
at Bhalswa Dairy police station in North West Delhi.
Pressing for harsher punishment, prosecution said the
accused was none other than the husband of the deceased, who
had taken oath to protect her at the time of solemnisation of
"He was bound to save her, but here, he himself caused
her death. He has taken away his children`s right of getting
love and affection from their mother by killing her,"
Yadav`s counsel said the offence was committed on the
spur of a moment and he did not have a criminal background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations