Man given Rs 19.24 lakh damages for 100 pc disability in mishap
New Delhi: A man, who became 100 percent disabled after a rashly-driven truck ran over his both legs while he asleep on roadside, has been awarded around Rs 20 lakh as a compensation by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal.
The tribunal asked the Reliance General Insurance Company Ltd to pay Rs 19,24,580 to Dil Bagh Singh, who had to undergo amputation of his legs resulting into 100 per cent disability.
"In view of the testimony of the petitioner (Singh) and other documents, the preponderance of probability is that respondent no 1 (driver) caused the accident by driving the offending truck rashly and negligently which resulted in causing crush injuries on the body of the victim necessitating amputation of his both legs," MACT Presiding Officer Rekha Rani said.
Singh, also the second driver of the vehicle, told the tribunal that on the night of February 16, 2008, he had come to Azadpur Mandi with truck driver Ram Avtar from Assam and after unloading the goods, he was resting at the road side.
Punjab resident Singh said while he was asleep, Avtar started the truck and without taking any precautions or blowing horn, came at a high speed and ran the vehicle over his legs.
He was taken to hospital where both of his legs had to be amputated, he added.
He was working with M/s JS Khera Transport Company at Azadpur Mandi here and was earning Rs 4,500 per month.
"After having suffered amputation of both his legs, he cannot work even as a labourer because it demands movement from one place to another which he will not be able to do. He will be virtually confined at home," the tribunal said.
It also noted that the truck driver was not holding a valid driving licence at the time of the accident as his licence had expired a week ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened